3M Wrap Film Series 2080: Tips and Tricks
3M Wrap Film Series 2080 gloss films have a conformable Protective Film Layer over the top film surface. Benefits include:
- Reduced surface impressions during installation*
- Can be removed and cleaned easily
- Protects against impressions and scratches
- Will not transfer to wrap film
- Conforms to wrap complexly curved body panels without removing protective film layer
- Easier installation due to lowered surface friction
When finishing around corners and panel edges, peel the Protective Film Layer back several inches before tucking and performing normal finishing.
* Surface impressions are commonly known as hazing, blotchy and mottled appearances on gloss film.
Tips & Tricks:
2080 is more conformable than the previous 1080, enabling easier installation with less heat.
- For best results with 2080, do not overstretch material when conforming around curvature.
- Do not use a torch during installs. Heat guns are far less likely to haze or damage the material’s surface or gloss level. If hazing occurs, use a heat gun to bring the film back to its original gloss level.
- Use a slip solution for best results during installation (ex. PPF Installation Gel or a mixture of mild detergent and water)
- Post-heat wrap thoroughly after installation to prevent the material from lifting over time.